Winter approaches and want to start brewing darker beers again. With my harvested Bells Amber yeast (Wyeast 1272/WLP051 mutated or something English WLP002?) I figure I can start experimenting with a few recipes. I have a cream stout, a stout using fauxspresso from my moka pot, and maybe a cinnamon stout planned to brew in near future. I found this recipe in my BYO 250 clones magazine and based mine off of this. Brewed it after work yesterday and just affixed the blowoff tube a bit ago (flaked barley, sigh).
Shakespeare Stout clone (1 gallon) 1.061 exp. at 85% 73 IBUs
1.38 lbs 2 row
.21 lbs chocolate malt (dingemanns 350L)
.21 lbs special B
.2 lbs flaked barley
.05 lbs roasted barley
.01 lbs black patent
.4 oz Cascade 7.1%AA 60 mins
.2 oz Cascade 15 mins
.2 tsp Irish moss 15 mins
Harvested Bell’s Amber yeast
2.06 x 1.3= 2.7 qts 185F water to preheat MLT. Doughed in at 167.8F and mashed 60 mins (end temp= 150F). Double batch sparged with 5.3 qts 185F water and boiled 68 mins.
OG: 1.061 85% efficiency but had too much wort, probably a little higher efficiency
FG: 1.021 5.2% ABV not sure why Bells yeast (74% attenuation on Xmas beer only got to 64% this one, thinking I didnt pitch enough and maybe didnt make a starter)
Fridge is working out perfectly, can fit 2 one gallon jugs in there at a time. To get back into brewing I made a less hoppy and maltier Arrogant Bastard to give away at Xmas. I figured the complex malt, Chinook spiciness, and higher alcohol would be a great winter beer. Whenever I drink this one, even right out of the fridge it seems warm. I knocked the hops down as to make the beer a little more agreeable to those non-IPA fans and added some of the Chinook as FWH like the very first time I brewed this. Also added a smidge of melanoidin for bigger malt aroma and flavor (hopefully). I was really tempted to throw some Red Hots at the end of the boil in this batch and cinnamon sticks after primary but refrained…thus far!
Beery Xmas and a Hoppy New Year (1 gallon)
2.2 lbs 2 row
.187 lbs special B
.04 lbs melanoidin malt
.1 oz Chinook 11%AA FWH
.1 oz Chinook 60 mins
.2 oz Chinook 15 mins
.2 oz Chinook 0 mins
.2 tsp Irish moss 15 mins
Yeast harvested from Bell’s Amber beer
2.387 x 1.3= 3.1 qts 185F water to preheat MLT. Doughed in at 167.8F and mashed 60 mins (end temp- 152.5F). Double batch sparged with 5.3 qts 185F water to boil 78 mins.
OG: 1.073 83-84% efficiency
FG: 1.018 7.2% ABV
Well my $30 Craigslist mini fridge crapped out on me right on brewing day last Saturday, Stone Ruination clone with my 1st dry-hopping (about time I took my IPAs to the next level, dont know why it took me so long to start). So am looking for another to replace it, might pick up my old one in SC when I go home for my wedding next week, so excited! But anyway, no brewing in sight anytime soon. Luckily I kept the 2 gallon “ice bucket” i used to use to control fermentation temps in PA. Have been looking for alternatives since the fridge, although very used, only lasted 2 months…hopefully it was just super old because dont want to have to buy new fridges every few months. Had ASD setting on temp controller set to highest value to keep compressor from running all the time. At least the Oktoberfest I lagered finished up before this happened.
Planning a rebrew of the cream ale with some flaked barley (2 gallons- 1 will be lagered), a revised Rye IPA with more hops and dry hopping, an actual lagered bock (the mock bock ale came out well though, just needs that W 3470 to make it awesome), a honey blonde (removing munich and upping honey malt, revised Black IPA (lower starting gravity and more hops/dry hopping), and might get some pilsner malt to start doing more lagers.